Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winter Leaf - Day 41 of 365


Winter Leaf (41 of 365), originally uploaded by lighthack.
I pulled in my garage tonight when I came home from work and I noticed this guy on the garage floor. It has been cold and windy lately and this leaf reminded me that summer is a long way off. I knew that I was tired today and that I didn't want to stay up late thinking of a shot, so, while eating dinner and tucking Ava into bed, I was trying to think of a good way to capture this leaf.

In the end, I decided to fill a non-stick pan up with water (I must be on a water kick lately), float the leaf and bounce light off the back splash in the kitchen, which has nice natural tones to it. I decided to float the leaf in water because I like how the surface tension between the leaf and the water reflects light.

I used a Nikon SB-600 fired via the CLS remote from my D90. I had my trusty 50mm f/1.4 on the camera for the shot. I had the camera and the flash in manual mode. After I found the angle that I liked, I tweaked the aperture and the flash power until I liked the way that it looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment