Sunday, February 14, 2010

Baby's Breath Bokeh - Day 45 of 365

Baby's Breath Bokeh (45 of 365)

I know, I said that I wasn't going to do it (take a picture of roses on Valentine's day). Oh well, I saw the roses sitting on the mantle and I couldn't resist trying out my new lens on one of them. I decided to jazz it up a bit with some bokeh in the background, which I figured could play the part of the "baby's breath" that normally comes in a rose bouquet.

To take the shot, I used my D90 with the Nikkor 105mm F/2.8 AF lens. I hung a bunch of Christmas lights about 3 or 4 feel behind the flower. Then, I used one SB-600 (gridded) above and right of camera and another one (gridded) and low and left of camera (both set so they would hit the flower, but not affect the background). On the camera, once I got the rose exposed they way that I wanted it (using flash power and aperture adjustments), I slowed down the shutter speed until I got the lights in the background the way that I wanted them.

Overall, I was going for kind of a romantic look/feel where the rose might be sitting on a dinner table somewhere and the lights in the background could be candle light.

No comments:

Post a Comment