Thursday, February 4, 2010

Splash - Day 35 of 365

Splash (35 of 365)

Tonight, after watching TV for a while and procrastinating, I decided that I would try taking a water drop shot. It can't be that hard, right? Well, it shouldn't be, but I managed to get water everywhere (which probably isn't good around electronics) and, on top of that, my battery ran out of juice while I was tweaking things. So, I recharged the battery and decided that I would go with this shot. It is a water drop splashing back up out of the water. Originally, it was close to black and white, but I put a green filter on it just for fun (well, actually, it was pretty boring on it's own, so I decided to splash in some color (no pun intended)).

I used two SB-600 flashes fired via CLS. One against the white wall behind my setup and one at the water to give it some sparkle. I used my 50mm lens, which was a mistake. I was going to switch over to my zoom lens (I don't have a true macro), but I ran out of juice. I'll have to revisit this concept in the future to see if I can get it perfect. Oh yeah, I'm also going to use a black pan next time to cut unwanted reflections a bit.

If you want to learn how this is done, you can watch this video on youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwExpFDUC9Y

No comments:

Post a Comment