Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mist - Day 20 of 365

Mist (20 of 365)

Has it been 20 days already? I have to tell you, I was totally out of ideas tonight. I walked around the house for more than an hour taking pictures of things that all came out looking so dull. After I sat down and took my mind off it for a while, I decided to photograph this flower mister because I thought it was a cool looking gizmo. Then, I decided that it would be more interesting to capture the mist along with the bottle. So here it is. I used gradient post processing to give the mist the rainbow effect. I debated whether to do that or not because the bottle had such a cool blue color to it straight out of the camera that it would have been fine with just the blue from the bottle and the white water.

To get the shot, I jacked the shutter speed up to 1/2500 of a second. The D90 has a special mode that allows you to sync its CLS flashes that fast (auto FP high speed sync). I had one umbrellaed SB-600 to the right of camera and a second bare SB-600 that I held in my other hand above the water mist (I also held the camera remote in this hand). It took a little bit of trial and error, but I got my day 20 shot before the clock struck midnight. [edit 1/21 - A viewer on Flickr, John Groseclose, correctly pointed out that I could have "frozen" the water droplets more easily by using a lower power flash in a dark room because, in such a situation, the flash essentially works as a very, very high speed shutter (because it is the only light and it is much faster than the camera's shutter). To see his comment, you can go here: link and scroll down through the comments under the photo].

No comments:

Post a Comment