Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Flower Power (103 of 365)

Yellow Tulips, Green Mist (103 of 365)
If at first you don't succeed...

As I mentioned yesterday, I wasn't satisfied with the look of my first tulip and mist picture. Here is my second attempt. I am much happier with the overall look of this one.

Setup Info: Basically the same setup as yesterday's shot, except I moved the camera back and I changed out the blue gels for a single green gel. For lighting, you have an SB-600 flash through a 24"x24" softbox camera left and high lighting the flower. For the background, you have empty space behind the flower to create a "black" environment. Then, I placed an SB-600 flash with a green gel on it on the floor pointed straight up. Standing on a ladder to camera right, I sprayed a mist of water into the air before the shot and then hit the remote, which lit the water mist with green light. I took a setup shot that I'll post this afternoon.

As Olga noticed, I did go with a "mirror" effect mirroring the image horizontally. It looked fine without doing this, but doing the mirror effect, with it's symmetry, really finished off the image for me. Other than the mirror, this is close to being straight out of the camera -- the lights really did the work on this one.

One of my favorite details in this image is the refraction of the light through the bottom "bulb" portion of the vase.

No comments:

Post a Comment